Monday, June 8, 2009

holy heck of a post

SO. I did in fact loose my job. I am not entirely upset about this though. It gives me time to focus on school and to get some crafting done! Both are really important to me. I am going to school for ELEMENTARY EDUCATION. I am pretty pumped about it. I have a pretty aggressive course load so that I can get my license before I retire. I actually should get it just before my 30th birthday. **GASP**

I tried my hand at dying fabric for the first time. I am making some teddy bears and bunnies out of terry cloth and could only find terry in the following colors :
White
Pink
Blue
Well I was going to use the white for the bunnies and really did not want blue bears...so I decided to turn some of the white terry into brown terry. I used Rit Dye in the box in DARK COCOA. I followed the washing machine directions as I thought it would be the least messiest. It was really easy and pretty quick to clean up! I did drip a little of the die mix on the top of my dryer and it cleaned up in a snap with a clorox wipe. (love those things)


The color turned out a little lighter than I would have liked but will work fine for the project that I am working on. Also because it was terry, it frayed really bad in the wash. I actually lost about 3 inches of usable fabric on all sides. It was kind of fun but don't see myself doing it often. If I do, do it again I will have to keep in mind that the color that it turns out is NOT going to be the color I anticipate it to be.

K had her baby! I finally know the darn name and can now make her necklace!

I went to my mom's house over the weekend and got a few projects done for baby A.



These are just some little terry cloth bibs with some drooly embroidery on the front. I really like the pink and green one but my mom likes the white and orange one. Honestly I think they are all three really quite cute.


Also I made myself some tags. Tags to put onto all of my makings and then they are labeled. I was in an incredibly uncreative mood and just put Oh, Craft! Which is fine for now...but if I ever decided to/get the opportunity to mass market...I may want to come up with something a little more clever. (I just typed cleaver.) So yeah I found this material that you can print off your computer. I got mine at JoAnn in the quilting section. I just used Microsoft Word to make the print and used a pretty yellow paisley print for the background (That thinking back on it...probably will not do again. After the tags are cut up you can't tell there is any paisley on it anyway. Oh well.) I printed it on paper about a million times to get the spacing figured out then finally onto the "special" paper.


I then cut them up individually and used fray stop on all of the edges. They look pretty slick and very professional.

Next time I make them, I will make a tutorial for them!

I hope everyone had a great weekend. It was raining and really cold here. We actually turned on the heat! IN JUNE! But other wise it was good. We leave for the Bahamas in 11 days!

I am onto the next project.

1 comments:

Kriston said...

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your job!!! But, everything always happens for a reason. I can relate about having to try to hold a job while going to school. I go to school full time and work full time and squeeze everything else in between (including my sewing which I can't get enought of). I just finnished my associates in business and about to start on my bachlorete. Good luck with school and just hang in there. There were sooooo many times when I just wanted to give up. I think the only thing that kept me going was my husband. Okay, okay enought rambling....I posted a comment to your comment on my blog spot page so make sure you check it out.

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates