Thursday, June 18, 2009

books and blankets.

Yesterday I finished a few projects. The first is a copy. Not really. My mom liked her address book but....she found her old one and liked that one better and since the addresses were already in it...she wanted a cover for that one. So after craft club last Saturday we went to JoAnn where she picked out her felt and thread. She chose ORANGE -shocker- yellow for the contrast and a pretty blue for the thread.

My mom drives an ORANGE beetle so I thought I would put a little beetle on the front of it. I actually remembered my tag on this one! I glued it to a small piece of yellow and then sewed around the yellow.

**bad photo alert**

I again sewed on a pen holder and the pocket for her notes.


And she loves it.

I also finished my first quilt. I am pretty excited about it as it is my first one. If you remember I chose brown chenille, lime "jelly bean" cotton, pink and blue baby check cotton, a floral cotton, and a stripe flannel. As I started to sew the small squares together I quickly realized that the chenille was going to be a pain.

It kinda does it's own thing and slightly distorts the square a little. But I kept on keeping on. After I sewed all my 4 blocks into one block and pressed the seams I sewed strips of alternating 4block and "jelly bean" block.

The next step was to sew my strips of alternating blocks to long strips of stripe flannel. The first one I did i sewed on backwards. Sometimes I really have mental lapses.

Anyway after I ripped out that seam and re sewed it I alternated the stripe and the the multi-strips. this is generally what it looked like when all together.

I sandwiched the front, batting and a large sheet of the flannel together and started to "quilt." Now like I said. I have never done this before and wanted to keep it as easy as possible. So I chose to make 2 long "s" down the stripes and "x" going down the multi-strips. You can kind of see what I am talking about here.

The "s" are kind of crooked but I kind of like it that way. You can really tell that it is hand made.

I sewed on the binding. Tucking my tag in the bottom right corner of the binding. (but i accidentally zig zag sewed over it...you can still see the tag but it has been sewed over.)

Here is the finished project.

I rolled her up and tied some pretty ribbon around it. It is really cute. I am really proud of myself and it only took about 2.5 hours cutting and all!


Only 2 days and we leave for the BAHAMAS! I am super pumped. Although the weather here is going to be the exact same as it is going to be there (which is really odd to me) but oh well it is a vacation!

~j

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates