Friday, July 10, 2009

Making colored sand

SO for the last 2 weeks I was searching the entire state of Minnesota, looking for colored sand for one of the project for school next week. For the life of me I could not find any colored sand. Then I had an idea. With a quick search in swagbucks I found out that I can dye sand with food coloring. Granted all of the "recipes" were for small amounts of sand and I needed about 20 pounds of sand! So I had to improvise...

I went to the pet store and got 2 10 pound bags of white hermit crab sand. Nature's Ocean!


I figured the best way to do this with out making a huge mess was in ziplock bags. (oh I was at my mothers house If you are wondering why the background does not look like my living room!)


I put about 5 cups of sand in the bottom of the bag and filled it with water until the sand was saturated.



Plopped in **alot** of food coloring. (I used almost 2 boxes for the 2 bags. Getting 5 colors out of each bag.)


I mushed it up with my hands for a while till most of the sand was mixed with the color. Then I took off the rubber glove, zipped up that bag and mushed it around in the bag for a while. I tried to get most of the air out and rolled it up and put it in a second zip lock bag just incase the first one leaked (wich a few of them did.!)


Here is a Pink one.


And sky blue and yellow.


I have to dry them out today so I will update and let you know how they all came out!

Have a good one!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

love your blog! thanks for visiting mine. I'm hoping I can keep it up with all of our upcoming traveling and moves. I can't believe how many projects you're working on and how different they all are! You are a true crafter! Wow.

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates